Since 2011, Santander has held an annual business pitching competition called the Santander Universities Entrepreneurship Awards. These awards are aimed at giving a financial boost to student and graduate business ventures in their early stages from our UK partner universities. It has grown to be one of the UK’s largest student and graduate business pitching competitions. They reward entrepreneurs by offering cash prizes, mentoring and start-up support and have so far given away more than £340,000 to start-ups and small businesses.
The University of Oxford can submit one entry for each of the following categories:
- 1 x Technology business - This is defined as a business or idea with hardware and/or software central to the businesses value proposition
- 1 x Non-technology business - This is defined as a business or idea that has a value proposition that is not primarily based around hardware and/or software
- All applicants must be students or alumni who have offcially graduated within 2 years of the date of submission from a Santander UK partner university.
- Applicants can be individuals or groups. There is no limit to a group size but any pitching at events is limited to 2 people.
- Throughout the process applicants must be legally residing within the UK.
- All businesses taking part in the competition must be registered UK companies.
- Applications that are currently in the idea stage must have all intentions of creating a UK registered company.
- All applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
- Students or alumni must own a material share in the business and be responsible for the direction and leadership of the organisation. This would normally include holding the title of CEO, Founder or Co-Founder.
Internal applications have now closed. We will create a shortlist from those applications, who will then pitch in front of an Oxford judging panel and audience, in order to determine which 2 winning teams we put through to the Santander regional heats (TBC).
The 2 winning teams will need to provide:
- A two minute video, hosted online (i.e. Youtube), that will provide an overview of the business, its origins and evidence of what impact winning the competition would have (full judging details contained within the information pack)
- A completed business model canvas (template attached) that should provide an insight into the value proposition and inner workings of the business (Guidance notes here)
- A completed Santander submission form